April 4, 2011 | by  | in Music |

Foos Fight for Christchurch

The Foo Fighters, Auckland Town Hall, Tuesday 22nd MarchOn Tuesday the 22nd of March the Foo Fighters played a benefit show to 2,500 Foo fans at the Auckland Town Hall. The show raised $500,000 in ticket sales alone for the earthquake torn city.

I arrived at the Town Hall at around 5.30pm on Tuesday night and waited, impatiently, with around 200-300 other people for the town hall to open its doors at 6.30pm, so the race to get to the front of the stage could begin. During this time I came across a young Wellington girl who had met Dave Grohl about 10 minutes prior when she went around back to use the toilet. She was still recovering from her chance meeting with the Foo front man, who obligingly signed her arm. I was one of the lucky people who did win the race to the front and I clung to the barrier fence until the end of the concert, which in total was a standing time of five hours.

An army of un-paid volunteers provided everything from catering, security, merchandise and even supplying the hotel that the band stayed in. All the profit made from the concert went to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal and, in support of Cantabrian music, both the opening acts, The Transistors and Cairo Knife Fight, were plucked from the Canterbury region to open for the main act.

The recently named NME Godlike Genius award winner, Dave Grohl, came onto the stage and his first words to the screaming crowd were, “We are honoured to be playing here tonight for the people of Christchurch. Get ready, it’s going to be a long night.” And it was. It was two hours and forty-five minutes of Foo-tasticness.

During the energetically charged concert, the band chugged beers, cracked jokes, and burped their way through a three-hour long set that started off with their new album, Wasting Light, being played in its entirety. They then proceeded to melt faces with a set list made up of songs from all seven Foo Fighters albums with the town hall’s impressive pipe organ being used to play the intro to ‘The Pretender’.

One of the many highlights of the evening was during the rock-heavy song, ‘All My Life’. Grohl ran up to the crowd seated behind the stage and stood behind a very young, small, Foo Fighter fan and helped the boy play a few chords of the song on his huge blue Gibson DG 335 guitar. The second was when a member of the mosh pit threw a demo CD onto the stage. Grohl picked up the CD and put it in his back pocket to listen to later after bantering with the CD-hurler as to how to pronounce the name of the band, they eventually agreed on Suck-a-Fish.

The overall atmosphere of the gig was extremely positive with the true spirit of the concert in check. Grohl even compared the crowd to the legendary 2005 concert at the Auckland Super Top, where the crowd was loud enough to give the band intense tinnitus afterwards.

At midnight, after the crowd had cleared out of the hall, I was drenched in other people’s (mostly stinky boys) sweat and my head felt like a bomb had gone off next to it. My aunt picked me up and threatened to make me sit in the boot of her car, where she puts her dog, because I smelt so bad. It was a fantastic night though, one which I am glad I missed my Tuesday tutorial for, it was also a fantastic use of my course related cost money.

Cheers Studylink.

1