Hughes, confusion and speculation

The media maelstrom surrounding Darren Hughes has continued this week, mainly due to media speculation.

Labour MP Darren Hughes is currently under investigation after a complaint was laid against him. The complaint was made over an incident which occurred following The Great Debate, an event held as part of VUWSA’s O Week programme.

Much of the recent focus has been on Labour Party Leader Phil Goff’s handling of the issue.

Goff admits he had heard about the investigation in advance but did not publicise it because he did not want to interfere with the police investigation.
“What I was determined to do was allow the police to get on, do their job,” Goff told Q&A last Sunday.

Goff said he believed the investigation did not interfere with Hughes’ position so suspension was unnecessary. The following day, Goff relieved Hughes of his roles as Education Spokesperson and Senior Whip. The day afterwards, he announced Hughes’ resignation.

The media used this to create speculation about a leadership coup within the Labour Party. They were left red-faced last Tuesday following a meeting of senior party members which ended in strong support for Goff.

“I have the full and utter support of my front bench colleagues,” says Goff.

Interestingly, Hughes has yet to formally resign by writing to the Speaker, as required by the constitution.

Hughes’ position in the Labour caucus will be filled by the next member on the party list. This is currently Judith Tizard, but it is not yet known if she will take the job.

1. Sambling says:

I really wanted Huges to be the Labour Leader or Second in Command! There is now no other good labour people.

2. Lesa says:

I’m not wrothy to be in the same forum. ROTFL