April 4, 2011 | by  | in Arts Visual Arts |

Infinity Bag at Deluxe Café

Opening April 4 at Deluxe Café, Infinity Bag showcases the freshest work from Auckland artist Zachary Penney.

In stark contrast to the last show at Deluxe, the delicate works in Can I Interest You In…, Zach’s drawings are the type that you probably wouldn’t take your mum to see.
You might better know Penney as a member of frenzied lo-fi Wellington band Teen Hygiene, and his artwork has a similar vibe. Think the Simpsons on drugs. Remember the drawings that the boys used to draw in Form 1, of guys with bloodshot eyes holding knives and doing skateboard tricks? Imagine if those boys had all the worldly knowledge of twenty-somethings and nobody is going to tell them off if they draw a dick.

Zach cites among his influences cartoon fanporn and his friends’ stoned drawings, although one could be forgiven for thinking these terms to be simply describing his own work. His drawings have a strong carnal, raw quality—inspired, in his own words, by “carcasses and shit”. And, the significance of the Infinity Bag moniker becomes clear when you visit the artist’s blog.

Zach’s preference for the modest medium of Sharpie on mildly obnoxious shades of copy paper provides a relief from the strict and formal confines of traditional media, and is the perfect accompaniment to his aesthetic. Expect to see more than a dozen of these line drawings, all produced over the past three months.
This exhibition at Deluxe provides more exposure for Infinity Bag in Wellington, previously shown at Garrett Street last June and at Auckland gallery High Seas in September. You’ll also find Infinity Bag artwork and t-shirts accompanying Teen Hygiene releases.

Keeping with the strong music associations, outside this exhibition Penney is currently working on an album cover for Wooshie & Mike Kay, for the beginning of a collaboration with an Australian glitch/hip-hop recording collective.

The Infinity Bag exhibition will be at Deluxe Café on Kent Terrace until April 17. There will also be A4 art prints for sale in black on yellow and a very classy black on black. Head on down, grab a delicious coffee and shock yourself.

10. International Queer in Review