April 11, 2011 | by  | in Music |

LAKE – Let’s Build a Roof

I’ve been a fan of this Olympia, Washington-based indie-pop big band since I saw them play live in the States in 2008. This is their latest outing, following Oh, The Places We’ll Go. Places is a good development from their first album, the self titled Lake, which seemed so quiet as to barely be there, folk-pop that wanders right past. Places is a lot more like their live show; louder, and more fun. But Let’s Build a Roof develops their sound a lot more, and gives them a distinction that’s worth listening to.

This album wanders through a lot of new sounding territory. The opening track, ‘Breathing’, has a soft rock vibe that might suit fans of the National. Things head a bit darker with ‘Gravel’ before heading into the syncopated Pitchfork-featured ‘Madagascar’, which has an almost funky dub feel, but not in a way that will scare off indie pop fans. It features great vocal effects that pop up again throughout the album, evidence I guess of the better production on this album than the previous ones. The call and response ‘Sing 99 90’ is a standout. The album meanders along its feel good path, with tunes like ‘Remote Control Cars’ showing that Lake is a band of optimism and delight. If I had to choose a lowlight, I would go with ‘Christmas Island’, which dances with the kind of sweet twee simple sounds that the band generally does such a good job of avoiding.
Lake play a good game with light and dark, electronic and acoustic. They professionally master the multi-instrumental sound of which I’m so fond, blending horns with adept songwriting, vocal melodies and harmonies reminiscent of Fleet Foxes. And it’s all so fresh! It’s taken me a long time to write this review at all, because I keep giving up and just listening to the album. I catch myself listening to other bands and just thinking, ‘Lake is so much better’. It makes me wish that I had much better speakers.

1. Bentel says:

*ahem* ‘Let’s Build a Roof’

“‘Lake is so much better … pity I can’t remember the name of their record”.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t