April 11, 2011 | by  | in Music |

LAKE – Let’s Build a Roof

I’ve been a fan of this Olympia, Washington-based indie-pop big band since I saw them play live in the States in 2008. This is their latest outing, following Oh, The Places We’ll Go. Places is a good development from their first album, the self titled Lake, which seemed so quiet as to barely be there, folk-pop that wanders right past. Places is a lot more like their live show; louder, and more fun. But Let’s Build a Roof develops their sound a lot more, and gives them a distinction that’s worth listening to.

This album wanders through a lot of new sounding territory. The opening track, ‘Breathing’, has a soft rock vibe that might suit fans of the National. Things head a bit darker with ‘Gravel’ before heading into the syncopated Pitchfork-featured ‘Madagascar’, which has an almost funky dub feel, but not in a way that will scare off indie pop fans. It features great vocal effects that pop up again throughout the album, evidence I guess of the better production on this album than the previous ones. The call and response ‘Sing 99 90’ is a standout. The album meanders along its feel good path, with tunes like ‘Remote Control Cars’ showing that Lake is a band of optimism and delight. If I had to choose a lowlight, I would go with ‘Christmas Island’, which dances with the kind of sweet twee simple sounds that the band generally does such a good job of avoiding.
Lake play a good game with light and dark, electronic and acoustic. They professionally master the multi-instrumental sound of which I’m so fond, blending horns with adept songwriting, vocal melodies and harmonies reminiscent of Fleet Foxes. And it’s all so fresh! It’s taken me a long time to write this review at all, because I keep giving up and just listening to the album. I catch myself listening to other bands and just thinking, ‘Lake is so much better’. It makes me wish that I had much better speakers.

1. Bentel says:

*ahem* ‘Let’s Build a Roof’

“‘Lake is so much better … pity I can’t remember the name of their record”.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing
Kowloon

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.