April 11, 2011 | by  | in Music |

LAKE – Let’s Build a Roof

I’ve been a fan of this Olympia, Washington-based indie-pop big band since I saw them play live in the States in 2008. This is their latest outing, following Oh, The Places We’ll Go. Places is a good development from their first album, the self titled Lake, which seemed so quiet as to barely be there, folk-pop that wanders right past. Places is a lot more like their live show; louder, and more fun. But Let’s Build a Roof develops their sound a lot more, and gives them a distinction that’s worth listening to.

This album wanders through a lot of new sounding territory. The opening track, ‘Breathing’, has a soft rock vibe that might suit fans of the National. Things head a bit darker with ‘Gravel’ before heading into the syncopated Pitchfork-featured ‘Madagascar’, which has an almost funky dub feel, but not in a way that will scare off indie pop fans. It features great vocal effects that pop up again throughout the album, evidence I guess of the better production on this album than the previous ones. The call and response ‘Sing 99 90’ is a standout. The album meanders along its feel good path, with tunes like ‘Remote Control Cars’ showing that Lake is a band of optimism and delight. If I had to choose a lowlight, I would go with ‘Christmas Island’, which dances with the kind of sweet twee simple sounds that the band generally does such a good job of avoiding.
Lake play a good game with light and dark, electronic and acoustic. They professionally master the multi-instrumental sound of which I’m so fond, blending horns with adept songwriting, vocal melodies and harmonies reminiscent of Fleet Foxes. And it’s all so fresh! It’s taken me a long time to write this review at all, because I keep giving up and just listening to the album. I catch myself listening to other bands and just thinking, ‘Lake is so much better’. It makes me wish that I had much better speakers.

1. Bentel says:

*ahem* ‘Let’s Build a Roof’

“‘Lake is so much better … pity I can’t remember the name of their record”.

1. V-ISA speaks out against outsourcing
  2. Pain
  3. A list of things that will help keep us healthy and pain-free this winter
  4. Wellington City Council are telling fibs
  5. Boring report proves mildly interesting
  6. Otago Uni are desperate
  7. Lol, no one was going to vote anyway
  8. We are not so bad at sport after all
  9. V-ISA speak out against outsourcing
  10. Kelburn residents angry about non-existent building

Dancing With Sad Sweaty Businessmen

: An instructor who I will amiably call Old Man Yellow Teeth tried to approach me, but I ran to the water cooler.