April 11, 2011 | by  | in Film |

Le Cinéma De Roxy

Miramar is a suburb that has long functioned as some Twilight Zone paradise for cinephiles – a place seemingly devoid of culture that nonetheless houses three substantial DVD stores, Park Road Post Production, Weta Workshop and numerous other film-related operations. The Roxy Cinema, the latest addition to the tiny tiny Miramar boardwalk, is set to stand as the glistening centrepiece for the suburb, a long-abandoned cinema restored to its former glory – a 1930s art deco throwback with touches of steampunk and sci-fi that make it seem like some leftover concept art from Bioshock.

The 1930s aesthetic is undoubtedly one of the cinema’s main attractions – from the Atlas Shrugged-meets-Metropolis mural adorning the roof of Cinema One’s cavernous foyer to the velvety interiors of the cinemas themselves, the Roxy is a warm and classy marvel of self-referential interior design. It’s clear, though, that this is as much a jewel in the Weta crown as it is a long-overdue addition to the Eastern Suburbs. Scale models of characters from Lord of the Rings, District 9 and Avatar (the latter located in a nook next to the toilets in order to scare the living shit out of you as you leave them) are dotted around the cinema, and much of the interior design was made by Weta staff during the little down time they have – even the matinee posters (of some decidedly unclassy films, including Force of Evil and The Lusty Men) are pillaged from the collections of Weta staff.

But you’re not reading this for artsy shit about light fittings and ubermensch sculptures – so let’s get down to business. The Roxy comes with a full-blown restaurant and two bars, the bars serving drinks modelled on the Cuban cocktails coming out of the US in the mid-1930s and the restaurant serving small plates with a largely international flavour (the small plates so you don’t miss your screening, you sluggish pig). Then there’s the cinemas themselves, which are pretty much state-of-the-art – the sound and picture are both incredible, and all screens are fitted for 3-D. Cinemas are small – Cinema One seats around 154 people, Cinema Two seats 55 – and the way the cinemas are fitted means there is no bad seat in the house. Also, they’re bringing back pre-film cinema trolleys, so hell yes.

In all, the Roxy is looking pretty amazing – about the only downsides are the proposed ticket prices (while not locked down, $15-16 for regular screenings was floated) and the transport costs a trip to such a cinema is likely to cost, with buses to Miramar not running cheap. That is not to say it’s not worth a trip. If anything, you need to lock a visit in soon, because once it starts screening on 7 April, it’s likely to be very popular.

1