April 4, 2011 | by  |

Peas and Queues – Free Condoms, Anyone?

While I’d like to think that all you kids do is hold hands and dry-hump, deep down I know that at some point during your university years, you will take off your pants in front of someone else, and ‘sex’ will ensue.

Being the media-savvy young people you are, I assume you are all well-informed about the wonders and perils of sex. If you’re not, ask Constance . I’m not going to lecture you on the perils, but needless to say you should be using condoms. There’s no excuse not to. Especially not that you can’t afford them—here are three places you can get ‘em for free or at least really cheap.

Victoria University Student Health

Visits are free for students and prescriptions cheap (as long as you register as a patient with them), and they’re right on campus. They’ve just moved to a new spot on the ground floor of the Student Union Building in Kelburn, and they have an office on the 2nd floor of the Railway Station West Wing at the Pipitea campus. I can only hope, for your sake, that the nurse that spent three horrifying minutes fumbling around with a cold speculum and then informed me casually that I had a very long vagina has moved on since my university days.

Evolve

Evolve Youth Service is free for all 10 to 25 year olds, and you can get the free and friendly services of a nurse, doctor, counsellor or peer support worker. According to one helpful staff member, they have the full array of condoms available for free without appointment—snug, flavoured, ribbed etc.—though if you want a bulk prescription you can book in to see someone. It’s at 5 Eva Street (the little alley running between Dixon and Ghuznee).

Family Planning (Margaret Sparrow Clinic)

You may think that, because of its name, one goes to Family Planning to well, er, plan families. This is not necessarily true – many go in order to avoid families or diseases. Located in a handy spot between the library and the Police station at 35-37 Victoria Street, it’s cheap or free for students. If you’re under 21 it’s free, if you’re over 21 and have a Community Services Card it’s $5 for an appointment. You can get prescriptions for bulk condoms, like $3 for a kazillion, the only downside being that you can only choose from two, not very fun, types of condoms.

Buckle up kids! If you have any other awkward questions about life, just email auntiesharon@salient.org.nz.

1. Channery says:

No question this is the place to get this info, thnkas y’all.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 100 views
  2. The Übermensch 41 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 25 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 20 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 18 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  7. The Bresolin Brothers 14 views
  8. Twitterviews 12 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 11 views
  10. The Sedulous Recorder 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more