April 11, 2011 | by  | in Music |

Spotlight on No Aloha, No Aloha

Wellington via Christchurch band No Aloha (originally The Insurgents) have been playing music together on and off for a few years. Reuniting last year after members returned from overseas they have reformed with a new name and a new passion.

On this self-titled four track E.P. they bring together a multitude of sounds and varying influences. The driving rhythm section and noisy guitars blend to create a sound in the vein of Sonic Youth, Pixies and early Flying Nun artists. What sets them apart though is their underlying pop sensibilities. The melodies and harmonies twist and turn to give these songs a softer side, in doing so they have created four rather catchy tunes that sound real, honest and passionate that will get stuck in your head for days. These naturally talented guys have a lot going for them and hopefully will be playing a bunch of shows around the city in the near future that will be worth checking out. You can download the No Aloha E.P. from their bandcamp page.

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer