April 11, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

The Week That Wasn’t – Law Students Take Hypothetical Situation To Court

Politics Students Lend a Hand

Following a negotiation competition sponsored by Charney Bundick, Victoria law students Ernest Green and Abel Tesfaye are taking their opposition team, Noah Lennox and David Portner, to court after negotiations failed to provide a satisfactory result, according to Green and Tesfaye.

The competition was designed as an opportunity for future lawyers to practice the skills required for alternative forms of dispute resolution such as negotiation and mediation.

This primary round of the competition saw the two teams attempting to establish a settlement between fictional clients Sally Salad, a vegetarian, and Mr Luigi, the owner-operator of Mr Luigi’s Pizza Planet. In this entirely fabricated series of events, Salad found a piece of ham on her vegetarian pizza and is seeking a claim of negligently feeding meat to a vego.

Green and Tesfaye were dropped after losing the first round of the competition to Lennox and Portner, but remain determined to see a satisfactory result for their imaginary client, Salad.

“This is no longer about losing the competition, that’s the last thing on our minds right now, although the $30 VicBooks voucher would have been a really useful resource in helping get our independent firm off the ground.

“We’re just very passionate about our cause. We’re fighting for justice and we want to see our fictitious client receive the make-believe compensation she deserves for suffering such a gross offence to her vegetarian senses” said Tesfaye.

In related news, members of the class POLS 332—NZ Politics in a Changing Social Context, were charged with a group assignment, to come up with a viable social movement and to identify the resistance and areas of support that would come with it. A group led by Tao Lin has taken the assignment one step further and have officially founded the not-for-profit organisation, Handjobs For the Homeless. Handjobs has set up the first ‘tug-station’ in central Wellington and aims to ‘improve the day-to-day lives of those member of society who needit most, with the tools we have at hand.’