April 4, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Women’s Rights Officer

“In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.” Poetic. Though I’m not male, so I was told to take accounting in school instead.

Now that I’m twenty, it’s all over. I’m no longer a teenager, I’m a proper adult. I’ve been away from home for a while, and as much as I enjoy that, I still reminisce about the banana cake days of childhood. How I miss my Lego set, with the flowers and mismatching pieces from second-hand sets and the treasure chests from Harry Potter ones. As an only child, many people think I was deprived of invaluable experiences. While I will never know if that’s true, I think I had some good times freaking my mum out by playing on the stove.

We moved house a lot when I was younger. From Olympia to Seattle, Portland to New Braunfels, Austin to Waiwera, Whangaparaoa to Nelson. So naturally, they decided to homeschool me. Big mistake! Just kidding, I actually learned a lot. It was pretty great, I could get up about ten, draw until noon, have some lunch, do a little chemistry, go back to the felt tips. I learned how to cook, too. My mum taught me how to make doughnuts. Special! If I weren’t too lazy to make nice food I would certainly be livin’ the good life.
However, as I type this I’m sat in bed, listening to Led Zep, scattering crumbs from a delicious lemon tart into my keyboard. How am I going to get those out? I don’t know. Maybe shake it upside-down or use the vacuum. How am I going to reclaim my lost childhood years? I don’t know. Climb more trees possibly. Wear ugly yet practical shoes. The prospects are much more desolate.

I’d like to think though I don’t run everywhere anymore, I still have some childlike glee left in me. I would rather eat cake than vegetables. I often do. But I know I should eat them. Why does childhood always come back to eating vegetables?

Necia Johnston
wro@vuwsa.org.nz

1. 'On Campus' Dave says:

I’m curious as whether the women’s rights officer administers abortions on campus?

Dropping lemon tarts on to keyboards and led zep records? I’m confused. Fuck.

1. Podcasts on Pop Culture
  2. Interview with The Beths
  3. Departures
  4. NZIFF Pt 2 (We Saw More Films)
  5. DIY Alcohol
  6. Books to Inspire Your Travels
  8. In Our Environment