April 19, 2011 | by  | in Online Only |

Young Mama – Ways to Save Money on Groceries

I love these—have found some new tips since my last post on them, and will blatantly steal from a list my Tumblr threw up..

1. Line the bottom of your refrigerator’s crisper drawer with paper towels. They’ll absorb the excess moisture that causes vegetables to rot.
2. To keep herbs tasting fresh for up to a month, store whole bunches, washed and sealed in plastic bags, in the freezer. When you need them, they’ll be easier to chop, and they’ll defrost the minute they hit a hot pan.
3. A bay leaf slipped into a container of pasta, or rice will help repel bugs. People say to do it for flour as well but I worry how stinky my flour will get.
4. Stop cheese from drying out by putting it in a muslin bag. One of the odder ways of stopping dryout is spreading margarine on the cut sides to seal in moisture. If you’re going to go to that much effort, though, why not just make sure you rewrap it in plastic properly.
5. When radishes, celery, or carrots have lost their crunch, simply pop them in a bowl of iced water along with a slice of raw potato and watch the limp vegetables freshen up right before your eyes.
6. Avoid separating bananas until you plan to eat them – they spoil less quickly in a bunch.
7. Put rice in your saltshaker to stop the salt from hardening. The rice absorbs condensation that can cause clumps.
8. Stock up on butter when it’s on sale – you can store it in the freezer for up to six months. Pack the butter in an airtight container, so it doesn’t take on the flavor of whatever else you’re freezing.
9. In order to make cottage cheese or sour cream last longer, place the container upside down in the fridge. Inverting the tub creates a vacuum that inhibits the growth of bacteria that causes food to spoil.
10. Microwave honey on medium heat, in 30-second increments, to make it clear again- it never goes off.
11. Prevent extra cooked pasta from hardening by stashing it in a sealed plastic bag and refrigerating. When you’re ready to serve, throw the pasta in boiling water for a few seconds to heat and restore moisture.
12. Instead of cutting a lemon in half for a few drops, stab it with a skewer or fork and circle where you stabbed it with vivid. It’ll keep in the fridge much longer. If you have enough ice cube trays, though, squeeze it all out, freeze in ice cube trays, and clearly label.
13. Work out cost per meal/serve and aim to make enough for that meal, then a small amount for a meal you won’t have time to cook for the next day- no more or less.
14. Get a nude food tube, or attractive tupperware-esque food storers, to motivate you into bringing snack food from home.
Good luck!

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan