May 9, 2011 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Andrew Ross, I Last Saw You There

Hirschfeld Gallery
16 April to 15 May 2011

What I like about the medium of photography is its accessibility. Photography can offer a different view of the world as it transports us to locations and spaces that we would not otherwise see.

Andrew Ross takes us on such a journey in his exhibition I Last Saw You There. Ross is a photographer who takes the time to stop, consider and capture the world around him. It is the way that Ross quietly brings our attention to the overlooked, which offers us a peek into an unseen world that is so special.

After moving to Wellington in the 1980s, Ross began getting to know the city on foot. The view of the pedestrian can clearly be seen in his work as he takes time to stop and capture various landscapes and interiors. Some of these interior works are like family albums. They capture the way people inhabit their surroundings and pass through daily life. I found the image ‘The Sweedon’s Front room, 41 Holloway Road, Mitcheltown, 15/10/2007’ fascinating. This panoramic view of a family front home captures how the walls are completely dominated with family photographs. These works are a dream for the curious, as we get to see behind closed-doors, into how people live.

This collection also features photographs that Ross has captured while tramping around New Zealand and on recent trips to England, America and Europe. In these works there is a sense of the movement of time. Ross captures human presence and the way people inhabit the environment. For example, in ‘Colma Cemetery, San Francisco 1/10/2006’, gravestones spread out for miles, as they signify those who have passed. However, in the tramping series it is the age of the land in New Zealand that can be seen. Any structures that feature here, such as huts or shacks, are temporary.
This exhibition is only on for a short time so be sure to get in quick. Try to get to the gallery during an off-peak time. This way you can be transported to these unseen places in the quiet, unobtrusive way that Ross captures the world.