Animal of the Week: The Tube-Nosed Bat

In a recent 2 month expedition to Papua New Guinea’s Nakanai and Muller Mountain ranges scientists of Conservation International have discovered almost 200 new species of animals. Some of which included a totally adorable feather tailed possum, a frog small enough to sit on the nail of your little finger and a katydid (or a cricket) that can fend off birds using the large spikes that cover its legs. However, my personal favourite and the Animal of the Week this week is the tube-nose bat. These bats are so recently discovered they don’t even have a scientific name yet. They are most likely endemic to their island in Muller. As these bats eat fruit and fly great distances they are extremely important seed dispersers and therefore help to maintain the tropical rainforest ecosystem. I’m going to be honest with you though. The reason I made the tube-nose bat this weeks Animal of the Week is because it looks fricken hilarious! I mean just look at his little face. If you squint he pretty much looks like Yoda. How much more badass can you get than a mixture between Yoda and Batman that saves the forest by pooping?

1