Bus-t up over fares

Confused commuters were forced to cough up more for their bus fare to university last Thursday.

On the 8.45am bus from the Railway Station to Victoria University’s Kelburn campus, passengers paying with cash were charged $3.50 instead of the usual $2. Snapper fares were unaffected.

Commuters contested the higher charge with the driver who refused to listen to passengers, stating the computer said the fare zone ended at the bottom of Salamanca Road.
The driver’s claims contradict the signs at the bus stops and the Metlink website which both state the fare zone ends at Victoria’s Kelburn Campus.

The driver said the problem had occurred once before and he was told by the company to follow the computer.

Victoria University staff member Di Dickson was on the bus at the time and lodged complaints with Metlink and GO Wellington. Metlink said they passed complaints onto GO Wellington but the complaints process was about four weeks behind.

Dickson finds this unacceptable.

“The processes at the bus companies aren’t able to deal with the fact there could have been a mistake,” she says.

Dickson was not affected by the problem, as she paid with her Snapper card, but believed the situation was unfair.

“I’ve been a student and lived on a budget and it’s hard. Having to pay an unexpected extra cost like this means you can’t afford something else,” she says.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn