Double Down Takes Over

Last Tuesday marked the release of KFC’s highly-anticipated ‘Double Down’ burger.

The burger—bacon and cheese between two pieces of KFC’s signature chicken—triggered a cross-media frenzy of strong positive and negative opinions.

Many hungry students have ignored nutritional warnings and are flooding the stores to get their hands on one.

ACT on Campus sent representatives to KFCs in each of the country’s main centres to offer free burgers to the first five who approached them.

“Everyone should be free to buy food they enjoy. Equally, everyone should take responsibility for their own health and exercise,” ACT on Campus President Peter McCaffrey said.
There were even reports of students in Dunedin camping out to make sure they were first in the queue.

“We did have a guy and a girl camping out here because they wanted to be the first to try them. But, it got a bit cold for them and they went home after a couple of hours,” KFC Dunedin North manager Wendy Ellis confirmed.

Dubbed “a crime to food” in some circles, the burger actually has fewer calories than the Burger King Whopper.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel