Eye on Exec

The ninth general meeting of the 2011 VUWSA exec began with apologies from Vice-President (Administration) Daniel Wilson and Environmental Officer Haley Mortimer. And with that, we were off with a bang.

VUWSA President Seamus Brady briefly reviewed the exec’s work reports. Many members, including Vice-President (Welfare) Asher Emanuel and Vice-President (Education) Bridie Hood, had failed to make up the hours they owed, but promised to make amends over the next fortnight. Welfare Officer Ta’ase Vaoga had forgotten to include the writing of her Salient column in her work report, but joked that even this was not enough to get on top of her deficit.

Daniel, Education Officer Jennifer Fellows, Clubs Officer Jeremy Peters, and Activities Officer Campbell Herbert shared their experiences at Uni Games. Seamus spent some time listing the successful teams and athletes, and moved that the exec should congratulate them. Jeremy suggested that VUWSA’s Clubs & Events Manager Melissa Barnard should be thanked for her efforts, and the motion was passed unanimously. It is not known whether these sentiments will be passed onto the relevant individuals, or were merely symbolic.

Association Manager Mark Maguire was then granted speaking rights to present figures on VUWSA services for the first quarter of 2011. He said most are “going well”, especially advocacy, locker hire at Kelburn and Pipitea, the free bread service, the food bank, and the class representative system. Maguire said this year’s O Week attracted a combined attendance of over 12,100 people, with the Toga Party and MGMT the most popular events and First Bass and High Five the least.

Maguire then proposed to the exec that VUWSA write off $4,737.50 in aged debts, unpaid by Coyote, the Greater Wellington Regional Council and Wellington City Council. Maguire said there was “no chance at all of getting this” back, and the motion was passed. The exec then approved a revised Memorandum of Understanding with Ngāi Tauira.

I was granted speaking rights to question Campbell about the “general comments” made in his work report. Campbell is leaving the exec on 1 August in order to travel to Germany on exchange, and recommended that the position of Activities Officer “be abolished” on his departure as “any work [he does] is entirely superfluous to that which [Melissa Barnard] does”. He stood by this statement, saying that a part-time position of 10 hours a week could not offer substantial help to Barnard, who “has contacts” and more time to devote to organising VUWSA activities.

And, with that, the meeting was brought to a close. While I doubt that Campbell’s position will be abolished, it was refreshing to see an exec member critically reflect on his role and duties—especially as VUWSA prepares to operate under voluntary student membership.

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.

1