From Japan with Love

The students who fronted the fundraising project for the Japanese disaster at Victoria have reported a huge success.

Over two weeks they raised a total of $1540.69; sending NZ$1386.69 (JPY90,357) to the Red Cross in Japan and NZ$154 to the Red Cross in Christchurch on April 11—exactly one month after the Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

Students who contributed to the fundraising were mostly Japanese students on exchange at Victoria from Japanese universities and Kiwi students who are majoring in Japanese. The National Bank also offered support in the form of sausage sizzles.

Aiko Sato, one of the students leading the project, expressed her gratitude to everyone who got involved.

“On behalf of all the students who contributed for fundraising, I would like to report the result and show our application to all Vic students and staff. The support from people in Vic were much appreciated in this tough month for all of us who have whanau back in Japan.

“This extreme disaster is quite shocking experience but we never forget this two weeks of fundraising in New Zealand which is also recovering from the earthquake.

“Thank you very much for all your thoughts and support.”

1. Adelaide says:

That’s what we’ve all been waiting for! Great ptoinsg!

1