“I said I only want the green ones!”

A diva’s dream: never again will they have to sort out their own M&Ms.

Victoria University Bachelor of Engineering graduate Dayna-Maree Kivel has designed an M&M colour-sorting machine. Did you hear that, Van Halen? (They don’t like the brown ones.)

The machine was the result of a final year project to “simulate an industrial process by using a programmable logic controller. We chose a sorting process and decided on the M&M‘s because they demonstrated this process very visually,” says Miss Kivel.

Kivel was part of the inaugural Bachelor of Engineering class which graduated last week. Victoria began teaching the four-year Bachelor of Engineering degree in 2007 as an extension of the University‘s existing Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science and Technology degrees.

The engineering programme focuses on the digital technology that drives the modern world. Of the graduating students, around half are currently working in the industry and the other half have gone on to further study. Miss Kivell is currently undertaking a Masters in Engineering. She is working on developing materials and devices that can be used in medical ultrasound applications.

1. Rochi says:

Is that relaly all there is to it because that’d be flabbergasting.

1