May 30, 2011 | by  |

Jennifer Egan – A Visit From the Goon Squad

If you’ve ever taken pen to paper, you’ll know that writing a good story is extremely hard work. This being true, crafting 13 separate tales with vast stylistic differences and unconnected narratives, and managing to weave them all together into a effective whole—not simply coherent but creating through them a world that’s intricate, vibrantly alive and deeply funny—can be regarded as nothing less than a masterpiece. Jennifer Egan’s A Visit From the Goon Squad is just that; a witty, powerful work following the lives of a varied array of characters, roughly centred around Bennie Salazar, who is (when we first meet him) the bass player and manager for the San Fransisco punk band ‘the Flaming Dildos’.

The chapters, which could easily pass as stand-alone stories, vary widely in style easy reach. And that’s why I love and content—represented amongst them are the There’s something for everyone. struggles of a jealous young lover, written entirely in the second person, a therapist’s appointment with a kleptomaniac, a rock concert in a dystopian New York Unity.

City and a celebrity column detailing the columnist’s attempted rape of a young actress, written in a polished imitation of David Foster Wallace. Throughout the novel, Egan shines for her versatility, it taking a prodigious talent to give such justice to these diverse styles.

Beyond this, there’s another thing deserving special mention. This book contains the most emotionally powerful and structurally brilliant powerpoint presentation I have ever seen. It’s been hailed as revolutionary, a stunning subversion of traditional literary style. That description is accurate, every gram of its thunderous praise earned. A Visit From the Goon Squad is a fantastic, engaging read, and well deserv*es the Pulitzer Prize it won. Highly recommended.

1. Tuesday says:

A bit surprised it seems to simple and yet uesufl.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 99 views
  2. The Übermensch 38 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 21 views
  4. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 20 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 16 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 14 views
  7. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 13 views
  8. Twitterviews 12 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 12 views
  10. Fuck, buddy 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more