Keep it 18

Politicians from across the spectrum have pledged their support for a student petition against raising the alcohol purchase age.

The MPs joined students from the Keep It 18 campaign to launch a nationwide petition at Parliament last Tuesday.

Nikki Kaye (National), Trevor Mallard (Labour), Gareth Hughes (Green) and Heather Roy (ACT) will present the signatures gathered to their colleagues in Parliament.

“If someone can be elected to Parliament, get married, or join the army, they they should be able to buy a bottle of wine,” says Kaye, who has indicated she will move an amendment to the government’s Alcohol Reform Bill to keep the age at 18.

The Bill currently recommends a split purchase age of 18 for bars and clubs but 20 for supermarkets and liquor stores.
Other MPs are likely to move amendments to raise both ages to 20.

Former Education Minister Trevor Mallard feels youth are being unfairly targeted while real issues are not being addressed.

“To say 18 year olds aren’t allowed alcohol because some business people don’t fulfil their obligations and check ages is, in my opinion, a cop-out” he says.

Keep It 18 activist Peter McCaffrey says the group—made up of representatives from the youth wings of ACT, the Greens, Labour and National—is optimistic about the response they will receive given almost 18,000 people have joined their Facebook page so far.

The petition is online: keepit18.org.nz/petition. Students can also show their support on Facebook: facebook.com/keepit18.

1. Keli says:

It’s about time seomone wrote about this.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos