Kiwis study kiwis

Zealandia Sanctuary and Victoria University last week signed a Memorandum of Understanding last week in an effort to promote closer research connections.

Victoria University Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh is looking forward to the benefits that the collaboration will bring.

“It‘s clear that this partnership with the Centre for Biodiversity and Restoration Ecology has been fruitful and has had a significant impact on best-practice conservation in New Zealand.

“I‘m sure we both look forward to working together in this area for many more years.”

Zealandia has a year-long vision to restore a part of New Zealand back to the way it was before humans arrived.

Victoria University’s Centre for Biodiversity and Restoration Ecology is an important part of that vision, according to Zealandia CEO Nancy McIntosh-Ward.

“Education and Research is one of our key goals. Zealandia provides a unique, living laboratory located within the city where students and staff can actively contribute to a world-first conservation project.”

The Karori Sanctuary Trust, which manages Zealandia, and Victoria University have been formally working together since 2006.

Postgraduate students have completed their research projects at the Sanctuary, with undergraduates helping out with research, said Associate Professor Ben Bell, Centre for Biodiversity and Restoration Ecology Director.

“Student research projects include studies of little spotted kiwi, forest bird songs, robin foraging behaviour, lake ecology, and the seasonality of flowering and fruiting of native trees and the birds that feed on them.”

Zealandia has been rated amongst the top 25 ecological restoration sites in Australia and New Zealand.

1. Macco says:

Kudos! What a neat way of thniikng about it.

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer