Lovin’ from the Oven – Cheap ‘N’ Tasty

I avoid buying any type of muesli from the supermarket; they are overpriced and most often filled with heaps of cheeky fats’n’sugars. It is so easy to make your own muesli at home, you can make the ingredients suit your price range and cater it especially for your own taste, be it nuts, fruit, toasted or untoasted.

Here’s my foolproof muesli recipe that you can whip up at home.

Hayley’s Honey & Cinnamon Toasted Muesli

• 4 cups rolled oats
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• A good handful of each sliced almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
• A big tablespoon of honey
• ¼ cup hot water
• A handful of each dried apricots and dates, sliced thinly
• A handful of raisins and/or dried cranberries

Set your oven to bake and preheat at 200°C. Put the oats into a large mixing bowl. Add nuts and seeds to oats and mix. Combine hot water and honey in a mug and stir until the honey is dissolved. While stirring the oats and seeds mix, pour honey mixture in slowly. This will just dampen the oats a little, you don’t want them to bet soggy and clumping together. Line a tray/dish with tinfoil (it’s best if it has sides on it, to stop losing bits of oaty mix all through the oven), pop your oat mix on top of the tray/in the dish and spread out as much as possible. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top and pop in the middle of the oven. It will probably take about 20 minutes to toast nicely and brown up a little. Give it a wee stir every 3-5 minutes to achieve an even toasting. Take it out when it reaches desired toastiness and let cool. Stir through dried fruit and keep in an air tight container. It will keep well for 2-3 weeks.

You can swap the nuts, seeds or fruit for any variation that you like; it’s also delicious if you add some wheat germ for a little extra nutritional value. Or, if you have a sweet tooth, add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the oats before you add the honey mixture. Serve with yoghurt and fruit, or just a bit of milk.