Lovin’ From the Oven – French Onion Soup

That dreaded winter chill is on its way and a super tasty soup is the cheapest—and yummiest—way to keep warm this winter. I swear nothing beats a hot bowl of soup and some buttery toast when it’s raining and miserable outside.

I had the joy of meeting my flatmate’s 14-year-old brother Robert, who came to stay in our student flat with is a couple of weeks ago. Much to my surprise, the little legend came equipped to cook us all a feast (with a bit of help from Jamie Oliver!). Better still, it was something which I had never cooked before myself, nor even tasted, so it was all very exciting. In about an hour, he had us all sat down with a delicious bowl of his very own French onion soup with crusty, gruyère-covered baguette.

Robbie’s French Onion Soup

• 1 kg of green onions, peeled and roughly chopped
• A handful of fresh thyme
• 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• Olive oil
• A good knob of butter
• 1.3 litres of beef or vege stock
• Salt n pepper to taste
• 1 baguette
• Gruyere cheese (or any other sort you might have in the fridge)

Fry off your onion, thyme, garlic and bay leaf in the butter and oil, you want them to soften and become translucent but not to brown too much. Pop the lid on and remember to stir occasionally, this should take about 15-20 minutes. Then take the lid off the onions, turn up the heat a bit and brown the onions a little (this will caramelise them and make them extra tasty). Now add the stock and simmer with the lid off for 20minutes, the stock will reduce down a little. Ladle your soup into bowls, tear up your baguette and stick a big chunk on top of the soup in the bowl. Sprinkle liberally with cheese and melt under the grill in your oven. This way the bread soaks up a bit of liquid, which I found super tasty, but if you can’t entertain the idea of soggy bread, simply lay your baguette on an over tray, top with cheese and grill.

1