Lovin’ from the Oven – Sagwala

I am not a vegetarian but don’t eat meat every day of the week either and I realised I have neglected to provide any recipes for meat eaters. I am very partial to a delicious Indian curry, but so often they are full of cream and not so light on the tummy. For this reason, I have always been a fan of sagwala which is made with a spinach based sauce. I have made this recipe twice, once in the slow cooker which made the beef deliciously tender but the sauce was quite thin and runny. I later made it on the stove top, the beef wasn’t quite so good but the sauce was spot on. Remember though, this recipe is certainly not for everyone, the colour sends some people running.

Easy Sagwala
• 500g spinach (this is a rough measurement, a big bunch the size you buy at the market will do fine)
• 500g of beef/lamb/chicken (I swap half the meat out for mushrooms and potato which are a great replacement, you could make this with no meat at all if you like, swapping in veges and/or tofu)
• 5 green chillies (I am a hot head and love spicy food, if you aren’t that way inclined, don’t hesitate to leave them out)
• 2 bay leaves • 8 cardamom pods or 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cardamom • 1 stick of cinnamon or 1 tsp ground cinnamon • 4 cloves • 1 tsp cumin • 3 onions, peeled and diced • 2 tsp minced garlic • 1 tbsp ginger • 1 tsp red chilli powder (same goes) • Salt and pepper to taste

Wash spinach, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook spinach in it for 2 minutes. Drain the spinach and blend with chillies. Heat a large saucepan and add oil, fry off bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, onions, garlic, ginger and chilli powder for about 5 minutes until onions soften and it smells fragrant. Add meat and/or vegetables, the spinach mixture and 3 cups of water if using beef/lamb and 1 1⁄2 cups of water if using vege/chicken. If using beef or lamb, bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 1 1⁄2,to2hours,if not, simmer until Veges soften and serve with rice

1