Lovin’ From The Oven – Vegetarian Chilli

There certainly is not enough good, cheap Mexican food available in Wellington, and if there is I am yet to find it, so feel free to steer me in the right direction. So, I have taken to making a bit of Mexican food at home. Chilli is the front-running favourite currently and my favourite type to make is a tasty vegetarian version, full of beans for fibre to keep you full and happy.

• 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 heaped tsp cumin
  • 1 heaped tsp of ground coriander
  • 1 tsp of ground chilli (if you like it spicy)
  • 1 can kidney beans/mixed beans (or one of each if you are feeding a crowd)
  • 2 carrots, chopped into small cubes, about 1-2cm
  • Handful of button mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes in juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a fry pan, add onions and cook until they soften but don’t brown. Add garlic, cumin, coriander and chilli powder and fry for about 2 minutes. It should be lovely and aromatic. Then drain your canned beans and add to onions with carrot and mushrooms, cook for a couple of minutes then add tomatoes and juice (if you would like a little more liquid, I usually fill up the empty tomato can 2/3 full with water to get the last of the tomato juice and add that to the pan). Bring up to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until your carrots are nice and soft.

Serve with rice and some sour cream/guacamole and fresh chopped coriander (it’s super cheap from the Sunday vege market). If you like you can make a salsa of chopped tomatoes, cooked corn kernels, capsicum, spring onion, a dash of lemon juice and oil and more coriander to pop on top. Or if you are feeling really creative, pop some chilli into flour tortillas, roll up, pop on a baking tray, top with cheese and bake in a preheated oven for about 20mins and have yourself some chilli tortillas.

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine