Lovin’ From The Oven – Yeast We Forget

A good batch of home baking is a powerful thing. It can cheer someone up, thank a person who has helped you out, or make a great birthday present for someone special. The thing I have always loved most about baking is seeing the people in my life really enjoying it.

Last week was the 96th commemoration of ANZAC Day, on which we remember those who fought at Gallipoli in World War I. ANZAC biscuits have forever been associated with those who sacrificed themselves during that battle, as they were sent to soldiers because they were cheap to make and had a good shelf life on the long journey. Today the word ‘ANZAC’ is protected by Australian law, but exceptions are made for the use of ANZAC biscuits, so long as it is referred to as a biscuit and never a cookie. They are still a Kiwi favourite almost 100 years later, and the recipe is roughly the same. I know it’s a little late but here’s a recipe so you can make a batch at home.

ANZAC Biscuits
• 1 cup of each flour, sugar, oats and
shredded coconut
• 175g butter
• 2 tbsp golden syrup
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 2 tbsp boiling water

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper. Put all dry ingredients except the baking soda into a bowl and mix well with a fork or whisk to make sure there aren’t any stray lumps of flour. In a pot, melt your butter and golden syrup together. Mix baking soda and boiling water together into a cup until dissolved. Mix baking soda into golden syrup mixture then add to dry ingredients and mix quickly. Roll the mixture into balls and pop on your baking tray. Flatten the balls with a wet fork or with your fingers. Bake for 10 minutes or until flattened and brown. Cool on a wire rack and store in a airtight container.

On another note regarding the power of baking, there will be a bake sale at the Cotton Street end of the Maclaurin foyer from 11am to 1pm on Wednesday 4 May, so make sure you come and say hi and purchase some scrumptious snacks. All proceeds will go to Wellington Rape Crisis to help them with the amazing work they do. If you are interested in donating a plate, flick me an
email on hj.adams91@gmail.com—your support would
be sweet.