Maybe we will get Roads and Trains?

Despite being in an era of climate change and rising fuel prices, the Wellington City Council (WCC) has decided to support a $2.4 billion roading upgrade.

In a meeting last month, the council gave its support to the Government’s roading project. This project is designed to improve roading from Levin to Wellington Airport.

The project includes several options for the central city, including duplicate Terrace and Mt Victoria Tunnels and a flyover at the Basin Reserve.
In a massive turnaround, Wellington City Mayor, Celia Wade-Brown, supported the motion despite her preference for public transport.
She says she is happy the project now has a clear direction and is pleased it will take a consultative approach.

“I welcome the proposal by the New Zealand Transport Agency for a consultation committee… to ensure the views of all Wellingtonians are heard.”

Wade-Brown campaigned against roading projects in last year’s election and says she still supports public transport solutions despite the council decision.
“I remain committed to advancing a light-rail route between the Railway Station and the Airport—public transport has always been my priority.”

Councillor Simon Marsh told Stuff that support for the project does not mean public transport is not an option.

“It doesn’t mean that Darth Vader and the Death Star is going to be swooping down destroying cycleways and walkways. It is a broad approach that includes all forms of transport.”

This broad approach includes government funding for a $1 million study to consider options for a high-quality public transport route through the city to the hospital.

Students spoken to by Salient appear to favour public transport as an option.

“How do more roads help reduce carbon emissions?” asks one student.

“Better public transport would be great, although many of the roads into the city need to be improved too,” says another.