Method in their Mana

The Mana Party’s policy platform has been revealed.

Two letters, written by union activist Mike Treen and Mana Party leader Hone Harawira, have provided the first indication of the direction the Mana Party is likely to take.

Salient obtained the letters from Adam Osbourne-Smith, a volunteer UNITE union organiser with links to members of the Mana Party.

In his letter, Mr Treen, a Mana supporter and associate of Mana Party chairperson Matt McCarten, states that the party will be a “new movement for radical social change in Aotearoa/New Zealand”.

Mr Treen’s letter also contains a lengthy excerpt from a second letter, allegedly written by Hone Harawira. It gives a summary of Mana’s likely policies.

It states that “New Zealand needs a planned economy that makes job creation its main emphasis rather than leaves it to the non-existent free market”.

It adds that Mana would look at abolishing GST and replacing it with a financial transaction tax, the “Hone Heke Tax”.  They will consider introducing “capital gains taxes, death duties, and asset taxes… the rich need to pay their fair share”.

In terms of privatisation, “Mana will be anti neo-liberal, against monopoly capitalism and against privatisation of the people’s assets. Utilities such as water, power, roading, etc, should be in the hands of the people rather than a guaranteed money making venture for corporations.”

The letter also suggests that Mana would engage in a programme of widespread nationalisation, stating that “we should nationalise monopolies and duopolies”.

Mr Osbourne-Smith emphasised that this is a draft manifesto and may be subject to change. He advised Salient to “remember it’s early stages, and it may not be fully correct.

“You probably won’t see any solid policy until after the [Te Tai Tokerau] by-election.”

The offices of Mike Treen and Hone Harawira could not be reached for comment.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos