Mum, what’s a Carrotmob?

First there were angry mobs. Then there was the Mongrel Mob. Now there is Carrotmob.

A ‘carrotmob’ is a consumer power that rewards environmentally responsible businesses with a ‘mob’ of customers. Using the well-known metaphor, the idea is to provide a carrot, rather than a stick, to encourage sustainability.

The idea began in San Francisco and has recently been taken up in Wellington by non-profit group Conscious Consumers.
In a recent bidding war, Memphis Belle Cafe won the pleasure of being ‘mobbed’ by pledging to spend 201% of the takings from the mob to increase the energy efficiency of the cafe.

“The carrotmob gives us a great incentive to make improvements we’ve been looking at since Memphis Belle opened,” said owner Matt Graylee.
Memphis Belle was mobbed on 9 April and received $1396 in takings. The cafe matched this amount, giving them $2792 dedicated to efficiency improvements including a new energy-saving coffee machine, replacing two old fridges, and sealing their chilled cabinet.

1. Moon says:

Yo, good lkooin out! Gonna make it work now.

1