Mum, what’s a Carrotmob?

First there were angry mobs. Then there was the Mongrel Mob. Now there is Carrotmob.

A ‘carrotmob’ is a consumer power that rewards environmentally responsible businesses with a ‘mob’ of customers. Using the well-known metaphor, the idea is to provide a carrot, rather than a stick, to encourage sustainability.

The idea began in San Francisco and has recently been taken up in Wellington by non-profit group Conscious Consumers.
In a recent bidding war, Memphis Belle Cafe won the pleasure of being ‘mobbed’ by pledging to spend 201% of the takings from the mob to increase the energy efficiency of the cafe.

“The carrotmob gives us a great incentive to make improvements we’ve been looking at since Memphis Belle opened,” said owner Matt Graylee.
Memphis Belle was mobbed on 9 April and received $1396 in takings. The cafe matched this amount, giving them $2792 dedicated to efficiency improvements including a new energy-saving coffee machine, replacing two old fridges, and sealing their chilled cabinet.

1. Moon says:

Yo, good lkooin out! Gonna make it work now.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn