Peas & Queues

Dear Shazza,

My (ex) bf cheated on his ex gf with me, then they broke up and a while later we got together. Then he cheated on me (a few times), and I just found out. He’s all ‘oh I’m so sad, I love you so much waaahhh’. I love him a lot too but I think he’s a giant knob face.

What do I do? Is this karma? I don’t want it to be over but I don’t think there’s any choice.

HALP MEEEE

Dear HALP MEEEE

Karma isn’t a Hindu deity, ‘the universe’, or God watching with a cringe as you fuck up your life and then dishing out punishment accordingly. Karma is all about cause and effect. You made a bad decision (getting into a relationship with a cheater), and there are consequences (being cheated on).

You knew he was a cheater, right? Did you kid yourself into thinking you really were just that enchanting, and that even though he was easily lured away from your predecessor that you would be special enough to keep his eyes on the prize? I’m sorry to be the bearer of cliché advice, but once a cheater always a cheater.

When I read this to Uncle Daz, he said: “She should dump him, sounds like a wanker”. I agree. Giant Knob Face may be very loveable, and he may even mean it when he says he loves you, but love is simply not enough sometimes. A good relationship is built on trust and communication, and it really, really sounds like you can’t trust Knob Face.

So, my advice is this: dump him and move on. You are no doubt a young woman of great wit, charm and possibility, and eventually you’ll find the man of your dreams. Knob Face isn’t him.

Need help with a sticky situation? Auntie Sharon (and Uncle Daz) may be able to help: auntiesharon@salient.org.nz

1