May 30, 2011 | by  | in Theatre |

Politically-Incorrect improv politics

Just as promised, The Improviser’s Politics the Musical delivered the two greatest arts of making things up; politics and improvisation in slick musical form. These practiced theatresportians delivered a smorgasbord of witty songs and intelligent humour and topical references, keeping the audience laughing for an hour and a half.

The audience helped “direct” the action by giving the performers improv creative juice called offers; information or opportunities provided for the advancement of the plot. After much discussion the team was given calling a bi-election, political subsidiary from a ‘dodgy trust’ and funk/country song genres with a Katy Perry jig thrown into the mix.

What then ensued was a mix of genius and practised improv, dispersed with rare moments of panic. The six-man team comprised of Greg Ellis, Ralph McCubbin-Howell, Thomas McGrath, Pete Doile, Richard Falkner, and Ian Harcourt performed a two act ‘political’ musical where diversity trumped the bigoted evil-doers.

As the performance changed each night plot summary seems a little irrelevant but essentially, bigoted conservative evil group subsidizes a political party so they can influence their bylaws. After attempting to create a “pure” New Zealand by deporting 95% of the population for their “differences”, they are opposed by a New Zealand-Chinese liberal highschooler who stands for diversity and the end of discrimination in politics. Good wins against evil and the baddies, led by the malicious Alison Holst melt in a witch-of- the-westesque death.

The plot was well formed; each scene successfully advanced the action and raised the stakes. This was obviously the work of a well-practised improv troupe demonstrating rehearsed technical theatresports. However the cohesion of the troupe and story was not always seamless, with some actors relentlessly driving the scenes and occasionally certain actors would wimp out (a real technical term) from offers. All in all the music was incredible (both the talented musicians Robbie Ellis and Tane Upjohn-Beatson and the actors’ singing), the show was funny, and the acting was average. A solid 7/10.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos