Prez Col – UNDECIM

You would have read in last week’s Salient that the University is conducting a massive review into its undergraduate (UG) education.

The review aims to further improve the University’s undergraduate programmes and our learning experiences, as well as ensuring they compare favourably internationally.
Since then, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) has released a paper outlining the issues in UG Education. She now wants to know what you, the students of Victoria, think about UG Education here at the University. I urge you all to engage in this consultation process—whether you are an undergrad, postgrad, or even a graduate. This is an exciting opportunity, as a review of this nature has not happened before at Victoria, and its findings will significantly alter the way undergraduate education is structured at Victoria. It is our chance to transform the undergraduate experience.

VUWSA wants to make sure there’s as much student engagement and input into the review as possible. That is why we are initiating a number of activities to ensure you’re aware of what’s happening and how you can have your say. You can visit our website and follow the link to both the paper itself and a survey based on the questions it poses. The feedback from this survey will help form a combined VUWSA student submission that addressing all the questions of the paper. The survey takes no longer than 10 minutes and there are 10 $20 vicbooks vouchers up for grabs if you fill it out.

In addition we are hosting a forum this Thursday at 12pm for students who want to know about the review. Our Education Organiser Dr Fiona Beals, Vice-President (Education) Bridie Hood and I will be on hand to run through the current thinking, where it has come from and what is trying to be achieved. You will also have the chance to ask any questions you might have.

Next week, we’ll be celebrating Class Reps with our first Class Reps Scholarships function. VUWSA will be recognising seven Reps who have performed to exceptionally high standard, as well as well as thanking all Class Reps for their work in trimester one. This year Class Reps have truly stepped up to further enhance our student experience by proactively working with their course coordinators, their classmates and VUWSA.

Behind the scenes, your Class Reps have provided VUWSA with perspectives on the review of Technology and Education, the review of assessment policies and, currently the review of Undergraduate Education. Thanks to Class Reps you can be sure that your representatives on Faculty Boards have a solid understanding of student needs and that the other VUWSA representatives on University-wide boards and committees carry your voice to the top.

Finally, a huge congratulations to all of you who are graduating this week. This is a great achievement and testament to your hard work and dedication over many years. On behalf of VUWSA, I wish you all the best for your future, and look forward to see you all at one of the five ceremonies and two parades over the next few days!

Twerk it.

Seamus Brady