Row, Row, Row Your Boat…

Over Easter weekend the New Zealand University Rowing Championships were held at Lake Karapiro. The sixty-strong Victoria University Rowing Club gained second place overall for the first time in four years.

Otago University were the overall winners and Waikato University took the presitgious Hebberly Shield.

Noteable results included James Hunter and Luke Watts’ first place in the Men’s Intermediate double-scull and second in the Men’s Champ double; Geo Rodie’s third in the Women’s Champ single; Luke Watts’ second in the Men’s Champ single; and the Intermediate women’s photo finish for the four person coxed quad race.

Other achievements were the adddition of Luke Watts and Jamie Hunter to the New Zealand University mens lightweight crew and Geo Rodie to the women’s crew. They are the first VURC members to be selected in four years.

Team member Paul Ranier was enthusiastic about the weekend’s results.

“The weekend was a great success for Vic Rowing. It’s a great feeling to be back in the number two spot behind Otago. Given their professional setup, the results are all thanks to our volunteer coaches and executive. I think we can also be very proud of our NZ Uni Trans Tasman athletes.”

He extended thanks to the team’s volunteer coaches Tim Wilson, Greg Bryce, Sarah Clare, Paul Moreno, Michelle Munro and the Victoria University Rowing Club executive.

1