Student Health Service – Exercise

It is very important to make time in your week for exercise and what better way to do this than to take a break from your studies and pop over to the Recreation Centre at lunchtime to try some of the fantastic Group Exercise classes?

Group Exercise is a highly motivating and fun way to work out and the Recreation Centre has a great range of 12pm and 1pm lunchtime classes on offer from Pilates and Yoga through to Mega Danz and Step. These 50 minute classes cater for all fitness levels and abilities and it doesn’t matter if you are experienced or a complete beginner as the staff at the Recreation Centre are always welcoming and friendly and can help get you started straight away.

Exercise has so many proven positive benefits, it lifts your mood and concentration, helps you sleep, and also improves body image, lowers your blood pressure and cholesterol levels and strengthens your immune system to name just a few. So why not get involved?

The Group Exercise instructing team at the Recreation Centre is one of the best in Wellington and the memberships are such amazing value for money.
A 12 month Group Exercise Student membership is only $85 and this allows you to attend as many Group Exercise classes per week as you wish. It really is an opportunity not to be missed while studying at Vic.

The Recreation Centre is extremely lucky to have Arlene Thomas Hewitt on board their instructing team teaching three lunchtime Group Exercise classes per week. Arlene is a former Aerobics Champion and won the New Zealand title eleven times in a row and also won the title as world champion in 1997! Arlene is currently a Master Trainer for Radical Fitness and has been teaching, coaching and choreographing classes for 20 years. Arlene teaches Tuesday 12pm X55 and 1pm Oxigeno and Thursday 1pm Mega Danz and all of her classes are very highly recommended.

• X55 is an athletic, high energy workout for those who want to focus on improving their fitness, achieve weight loss, and increase muscle tone in their body. The music is fantastic and definitely helps you push through the squats and lunges.
• Oxigeno combines the best of Yoga, Pilates and Ballet and is the perfect class to attend to de-stress, stretch, and relax. The music is beautiful and the stretching sequences really help to calm the mind.
• Mega Danz is a fun- filled dance class combining many different styles of dance from Latin through to Hip Hip. You’ll be having such a great time dancing that working out will no longer feel like a chore.

As well as these fantastic Group Exercise classes the Recreation Centre provides all kinds of other Sport and Fitness related activities for everyone.

For more information on Group Exercise and our other services check out the website or contact: meredith.price@vuw.ac.nz

1. Essy says:

Holy Toledo, so glad I cickled on this site first!