May 23, 2011 | by  |

The Lead Wait

Leon and Juliet are brother and sister. Juliet and Ian are lovers. Leon, Juliet and Ian live together in the middle of nowhere. Leon has an obsession with digging holes (in search of what, we are never quite sure). The home is falling to pieces—Ian in all his sweetness doesn’t appear to mind, whilst Juliet bites her lip and gets on with life. The house is transformed into a single space (bathroom-cum-dining room-cum-kitchen), solely defined by missing strips in the carpet where walls supposedly used to be. One night a not-so-strange stranger comes through the door. There are canaries.

It is difficult to breathe during this play as you never really know when it would be appropriate. All four roles are performed with an intensity that would burn holes into concrete (mildly softened by Ian’s gullibility), and yet I found myself erratically giggling at the barbed, black humour that thankfully lightens the mood somewhat. The notion of forced exposure seems essential to this play, elevated by a hyper-realism expressed through stifled domesticity. A bath is poured within the first ten minutes and over the course of the evening each cast member takes a dip; a fish is gutted, steamed and devoured before us; the roof starts to leak under the barrelling sound of heavy rain.

Andrew Foster’s stress on intimacy carries on from direction to design, a remarkable meeting of realism and abstraction. The audience sits on either side of the living room, the exquisite meticulous attention to detail alienated by the sight of an audience directly beyond. The effect is both haunting and engaging, as the ‘realism’ is performed on stage whilst the reality stares straight back.

Purely in practical terms, the play at times verged on losing pace through extended silences, and the odd line was lost due to the sheer vastness of Circa One. Nevertheless, The Lead Wait is a tantalising sensory experience of sight, smell, and sound that suspends its audience for eighty breathless minutes of harrowing discovery.

The Lead Wait

By Jo Randerson

14 May – 11 June at Circa One

1. Frenchie says:

Which came first, the problem or the solution? Luckily it doesn’t mtater.

1. Queer
  2. Defaulters on borrowed time
  3. Trans 102
  4. On Hair and Gender
  5. 30 Years of Pride
  6. Saying Grace
  7. We Need Community
  8. Billy Maverick Bourbon and Cola
  9. Beard Culture
  10. In Review: Demented Architecture

Most popular

1. On Hair and Gender 276 views
  2. Trans 102 199 views
  3. The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand 190 views
  4. Saying Grace 188 views
  5. Fuck the haters and Give Up Your Dreams 165 views
  6. Defaulters on borrowed time 102 views
  7. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 62 views
  8. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 59 views
  9. We Need Community 38 views
  10. The Diary of a Teenage Girl 38 views
weed

The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand

: Why have cannabis-related arrests halved while use has remained the same? There’s a simple answer: the Police are decriminalising cannabis in New Zealand