May 2, 2011 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

The New Zealand International Comedy Festival 2011

Laughter doesn’t suit me.

Whereas some lucky souls have the ability to transform themselves through laughter into seemingly angelic entities, positively brimming with radiance and joy, I am doomed to mutate with every torrent of giggles into something rather less cinematic. So it is with a touch of trepidation that I look forward to the New Zealand International Comedy Festival. Rioting through Wellington from 29 April until 22 May, the Festival offers everything from stand-up to musical comedy, so rest assured that your favourite flavour of funny is on offer. There will be Salient reviewers braving laughter-inspired facial disfigurement for five of the upcoming Comedy Festival shows, all of which I seem to have an opinion on, despite not yet having seen them.

The Boy with Tape on his Face by Sam Wills: May 2 – 7 at San Francisco Bathhouse. I predict an engaging, surprising and altogether charming silent-comedy from this man, along with a fair bit of audience participation.

Grown Up by Brad Zimmerman: May 3 – 7 at Club Ivy. I predict a show which will be enjoyed by anyone who isn’t totally sure how to go about becoming an ‘adult’ and wonders whether it really has to happen to them. I hear that it’s highly relatable and should be a little gem.

Dan is Dead / I am a Yeti by Natalie Medlock and Dan Musgrove: May 10 – 14 at BATS.
I predict that you’ll either love or, ummm, strongly dislike this zany new work from the powerfully observant comedy duo. It could be hilarious but maybe only if you’re a cool kid from Auckland.

Messenger (Please Do Not Shoot) by Danny Bhoy: May 13 – 14 at the Opera House. I predict that Salient might not be able to get tickets to this show since it’s nearly sold out. Danny Bhoy is mind-bendingly, heart-wrenchingly, spine-tinglingly funny. He is also Irish and just a tad easy on the eyes. I consider it my duty to watch his show and so should you.

Politics the Musical by the Improvisors: May 17 – 21 at Circa Two. I predict that those who don’t know a thing about politics will have a cracker of a time at this show but that those who do will have even more fun.

1. Samana says:

Louise, if you know that Danny Bhoy is as funny as you say he is, then I would have thought you would know that is not Irish. He is SCOTTISH.

2. Louise Burston says:

I was all set to defend my claim of his being Irish with impenetrable lines of defense such as “but the man sounds Irish – how do you explain that?”

Then I looked on YouTube and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3exCOkJNo

So. Umm… Scottish, you say? My bad.

3. Hamish Noonan says:

christ what an overcooked and pointless article

4. Louise Burston says:

Cheers for the feedback, Hamish. I’m flattered that an article which I wrote nearly a year ago has attracted such attention.