Thirteen Not So Unlucky For Some

Even the curse of the unlucky 13 could not stop Victoria University’s domination of the 2011 University Games debating tournament in Auckland last week.

Leading Vic Debsoc’s charge for the tournament were Udayan Mukherjee and Ella Edginton of Victoria One, and Asher Emanuel and Paul Smith of Victoria Two.

Following a Victoria versus Victoria semi-final, Victoria Two beat Auckland Three in the final debate in a 2-5 split decision, leading Victoria to victory for the 13th consecutive year.

Vic also cleaned up in the personal awards, with Emanuel and Smith named as the NZ Universities’ Impromptu Debating team, with Edginton as the first reserve and Mukherjee as the second reserve.

Emanuel won the Dame Cath Tizard Cup as the best speaker of the tournament, and was also named captain of the NZU Team, while Jodie O’Neill of the Victoria Three team received a promising speaker award.

Although Victoria Two and Victoria One dominated the competition, O’Neill and Duncan McLachlan of Victoria Three finished fifth. Victoria Four’s Nick Cross and Aric Shakur finished eighth and Victoria Five’s Cameron Price and Johanna McDavitt finished 12th, both on four wins.

In Vic’s other achievements, adjudicator Stephen Whittington won the Centennial Cup for best adjudicator, while trainees Campbell Herbert, Emma Smith and Olivia Hall were all accredited.

Debsoc President Seb Templeton told Salient, “I’m very pleased—winning 13 years in a row is a great record. I’m very relieved and happy. There has been a lot of hard work from team members and those behind the scenes.”

1. Margaretta says:

This has made my day. I wish all postgins were this good.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos