Vic Makes Waves at Uni Games

Last week the 2011 ‘Super City Uni Games’ were held in Auckland in the 109th instalment of New Zealand’s premier University sporting event.

It was a host city one-two with Auckland University winning the coveted shield and AUT claiming second. Victoria secured third spot, and the green and yellow army provided many sporting highlights for the University.

Vic took an early lead in the shield race with victory in debating, winning the event for a staggering 13th consecutive year. Other gold medals were accrued by a dominant women’s basketball team, the table tennis doubles team, the fencers, who returned with medals in four different events, and the ultimate team, who triumphed over Canterbury in an epic final played in atrocious conditions.

VUWSA president Seamus Brady was understandably delighted with Vic’s performance. “On behalf of VUWSA I want to give a huge thanks to all of the participants, the administrators and to our Team Manager, Melissa Barnard who held things together.” He said.

By all accounts, the games were not as ruckus as those of 2009, the last time we won the shield—but it is safe to say Vic athletes went hard on and off the field. The men’s’ basketball team hazed their newbies by making them do undie runs, while several athletes turned up to one morning of the games shirtless.

The team is also rumoured to have incited a whopping 42 noise complaints on one night of the games.