Vice Prez (Education)

Oh science—definitely one of the more exciting subjects I took at high school. Fire, sheep hearts, that really graphic documentary that shows close-up a baby escaping from its mothers womb—what’s not to love? My favourite memory involves my fourth-form science teacher Mrs Hepburn almost setting the classroom on fire when she decided to show us what happens when magnesium and water mixed. Mrs Hepburn cut the piece of magnesium (at least, I’m pretty sure it was magnesium) a little bit too big, so when it came into contact with the water, a giant flame spurted up and the roof caught on fire a little bit. Panic ensued for several seconds, but luckily, the fire did not catch and the roof was just a little singed. Fair to say, Mrs Hepburn was a bit too nervous to perform any more experiments inside the class room.

While I have several more humorous anecdotes I could share about Mrs Hepburn with you all, I should probably move onto matters of slightly more substance.

VUW Policy Reviews

Victoria currently has several policies up for review and of particular importance is the ‘Student Workload policy’. This is the policy that deals with issues around student (and staff) workload at the University and sets up guidelines and rules regarding determination of workload, assessment, extensions and the monitoring of workloads. As always, VUWSA is keen to hear what students’ thoughts are about policy issues such as these, so if this is something that interests you, give me an email and we can discuss it further. Or else hopefully your Class Rep will be putting a link up on Blackboard for you to fill out.

Campus Angels

Campus Angels has started up again for 2011. This is a service provided to students by students. If you are leaving the campus late at night and feel uncomfortable walking around in the dark by yourself, one of our Campus Angles can help you. They operate at Kelburn, Pipitea and Te Aro Campuses. Check out the VUWSA website for more information.

This is my last column for this trimester, so good luck to you for the rest of Trimester 1! Hopefully I’ll see a lot of you at Stress Free Study Week Breakfasts! And as always, if you have any questions feel free to give me an email. *

<3 Bridie evp@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy