VUWSA Has an Opinion on Undergrads

VUWSA prodUced their submission on the undergraduate review last week, based on a survey and a forum offered to students.

It focused on five key areas of the undergr- aduate experience: research-led teaching and learning; specialist/broad balance; curriculum threads; assessment; and opportunities to broaden study.

Students were keen for a greater emphasis to be placed on research skills—both in teaching and assessments—but not at the cost of ‘real-world’ skills.

Students felt that greater flexibility was needed in their degrees, especially at first-year level. Many students commented that they and that they ought to be encouraged, but not obliged, to study courses outside their majors.
There was support for the idea of curriculum threads, but concern that they would be built into existing courses arbitrarilly.

Students complained that there are insufficient assessment criteria and irregular feedback to work, which made it difficult for them to gain anything from their work. There was a split in respondents—some found there wasn’t enough assessment and others commented that there was too much emphasis on assignments, not leaving enough time for deeper thinking.

Feedback on outside study programmes like VicPlus encouraged rebranding to make them seem more like development programmes rather than leadership programmes. There was also a call for more practical experiences and field trips.

The most important idea that was presented in the submission was that students want more communication between themselves and Victoria regarding what they want inside and outside the classroom.

VUWSA will be working with the Review of Undergraduate Education Steering Group and its associated Working Parties towards the improvement of the undergraduate programme over the next few months.

1. Laneta says:

Why does this have to be the ONLY rleiable source? Oh well, gj!

2. Charlotte says:

It’s really great that poelpe are sharing this information.