ACTing inappropriately… again

ACT on Campus Auckland vice-president Cameron Browne sparked controversy last month when he told Auckland University Students’ Association treasurer Tania Lim to ‘get raped’ during a heated Facebook debate.

ACT on Campus president Peter McCaffrey spoke for Browne, saying that Browne was responding to being called a fascist. When asked if the response was appropriate, he said Browne “…should have chosen a different swear word or called her something else”.

Lim is yet to receive an apology and intends to lodge a formal complaint with ACT on Campus.
“I was shocked, to be honest, because I didn’t know who he was. I’ve been sexually assaulted before and I didn’t really appreciate that comment. I felt like I was personally attacked and it brought back bad memories,” Lim said.

The comments attracted wide spread condemnation, with ACT Leader Don Brash labelling the comment “grossly inappropriate”.
Coordinator of the Wellington Young Feminists Collective, Nicole Skews, said in a press release “telling someone to ‘get raped’ is not the same as telling them to ‘f___ off’ and I am appalled ACT on Campus is continuing to defend his actions.”

This is the second time this year that ACT on Campus has come under fire for controversial remarks. In January, Act On Campus made an analogy between gang rape and compulsory student association membership.