Environmental Officer

Hi everyone and welcome back to Trimester 2! It’s set to be a great one and what better way to start it off than with Re-O Week, followed by Environment Week!

With Environment Week scheduled for Monday 18 July to Friday 22 July, it is the perfect chance to interact within your university environment while learning more about the global environment and current issues. Here is some food for thought—as Time magazine once quoted: “Don’t blow it—good planets are hard to find”.

With the focus of Environment Week being the theme of ‘How green are you?’, it’s important to remember that you don’t have to be a cliché hippie to be green! The word ‘environment’ can mean many things, and while VUWSA acts as your representative to help shape the best university environment for you, we must remember that we are all part of a system that is interconnected and is dependent on each other. Individual action counts.
A key part of being a student is to argue and get angry over what you believe to be a just cause—what more relevant, more politically-charged topic than that of the environment could there be?

The line up for Environment Week is set to give you every opportunity to get involved and be heard. With the week including Meat Free Monday with delicious Krishna Food, a speaker and an interactive workshop on the hotly debated issue of Coal Mining, a ‘Hook Up’ event for our campus Green clubs—including a debate between our very own political young guns—and several mucking in events during the week, you will have the opportunity to get your hands dirty!

With Trimester Two off to a great start, be sure to get involved and make the most of your environment. *

Haley Mortimer
environment.officer@vuwsa.org.nz