Events occured at NZUSA conference

Student politicians from across New Zealand descended upon Victoria University for the New Zealand Union of Students’ Association’s (NZUSA) Annual General Meeting earlier this month.

The three-day conference saw workshops, lectures and the passing of a change document that will radically alter the structure and direction of the organisation.

The report of recommendations, titled ‘Redefining our National Voice’, was unanimously accepted by the NZUSA Federation Executive. It outlines proposed changes to the structure, governance and staffing of NZUSA, as well as exploring paths it will take in future to achieve its goals.

Major changes include changing the governance of the union from two co-presidents to one president, supported by two vice-presidents.
Incumbent co-president Max Hardy says he is “excited about the ability to transform NZUSA.

“We think we’ll be much better off for it. Much more influential as a national student organisation, and much more able to engage with students directly.”
VUWSA President Seamus Brady was also supportive of the changes.

“VUWSA is 100 per cent behind NZUSA’s moves to be a more relevant, responsive and professional national body.

“NZUSA has achieved a lot for students in its 82-year history and we’re excited about the opportunities that it will afford VUWSA and Victoria Students going into the future.”

More in-depth coverage of the restructuring of NZUSA will appear in next week’s Salient.

1