Events occured at NZUSA conference

Student politicians from across New Zealand descended upon Victoria University for the New Zealand Union of Students’ Association’s (NZUSA) Annual General Meeting earlier this month.

The three-day conference saw workshops, lectures and the passing of a change document that will radically alter the structure and direction of the organisation.

The report of recommendations, titled ‘Redefining our National Voice’, was unanimously accepted by the NZUSA Federation Executive. It outlines proposed changes to the structure, governance and staffing of NZUSA, as well as exploring paths it will take in future to achieve its goals.

Major changes include changing the governance of the union from two co-presidents to one president, supported by two vice-presidents.
Incumbent co-president Max Hardy says he is “excited about the ability to transform NZUSA.

“We think we’ll be much better off for it. Much more influential as a national student organisation, and much more able to engage with students directly.”
VUWSA President Seamus Brady was also supportive of the changes.

“VUWSA is 100 per cent behind NZUSA’s moves to be a more relevant, responsive and professional national body.

“NZUSA has achieved a lot for students in its 82-year history and we’re excited about the opportunities that it will afford VUWSA and Victoria Students going into the future.”

More in-depth coverage of the restructuring of NZUSA will appear in next week’s Salient.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos