Eye On Exec – 18/07/11

The twelfth meeting of the VUWSA General Exec was not as energised as I’d expected following their attendance at the recent NZUSA conference of motivational talks and free food. In fact, there was an air of melancholy in the room.

Uncharacteristically, all but one exec member was present, with only Vice-President (Welfare) Asher Emanuel sending his apologies. Formalities, such as the perusal of minutes of the previous meeting and work reports, passed without question.

International Officer Andy Gao received a passive-aggressive reminder that whatever he puts in his work report ought to be relevant to his position.
Vice-President (Administration) Daniel Wilson had been on leave, so failed to table his work report. However, he took his job on holiday with him, claiming that “the most depressing thing you’ll ever find in your life is giving tax advice from Vietnam”.

Next on the agenda was sorting out free lunchtime soup stalls. It’s comforting to know that even our student representatives struggle to make a chores roster.
Even with the incentive of free bus passes, exec members were reluctant to leave the comfort of Kelburn’s ivory towers for the Te Aro and Pipitea campuses. “I can’t commit to anything right now” and “it’s not you, it’s me” were tossed around like it was the Kahui blame game.

‘Renegade’ Activities Officer Campbell Herbert, who left VUWSA last trimester (but not before taking a stab at the exec in his Salient column), received a brief mention, with one exec member exclaiming “Has he gone yet?”

Wilson confirmed this, stating that “according to Facebook, he’s left. It said Campbell has now left
his job”.

President Seamus did not think it was worthwhile to hold a by-election for Herbert’s position. Instead, the exec will take their routine mid-year trip to the personal sections, and will advertise for a non-voting position.

Over and done in 26 minutes, this excitement was over quicker than a mid-week sitcom. I strongly encourage students to come join me in the cheap seats. The things we do for you.

1