Ngāi Tauira

Ko tō Wiki o te Reo Māori

This year, Te Wiki o te Reo Māori was held on the last week of uni break (4-10 July), so as tauira we missed out on the chance to show our ‘manaakitanga’ around campus. Hei aha! We’ll be hijacking next week to bring some te reo goodness in your student life here at Vic. Check these out:

Hokohoko Tukurua (Garage Sale)

During Te Wiki o te Reo Maori, bring in any of your CLEAN, second-hand items—clothes, shoes, books, computers, random objects of greatness—to donate to a garage sale that will be held on Friday. All proceeds will go to those university students affected by the Christchurch earthquake, and any left over stuff will be donated to charities. Our office will be open from 10am-4pm to take in your donated goods.

Te Ao Mārama (Māori edition of Salient)

Yes, it’s back for another year and we want YOU to send your letters in te reo Māori to letters@salient.org.nz to be published in Te Ao Mārama. If you don’t know how to speak the coolest language in the world then bust out the online dictionaries and send us a mihi. The best one gets a prize too. Show us your reo and tuku mai ngā reta!

There’ll also be a quiz night (pō patapātai), sports (hākinakina), and debates (tautohetohe) among other things. Keep an ear and eye out for details! *

1