Prez Col – 00001110

What a year it’s been so far! We kicked things off with a huge Orientation, and students have enjoyed an increasing number of wins as a result of strong representation across the University.

We’ve seen a range of positive changes on campus with improved food outlets like the Hunter Lounge, Milk & Honey, and Kiosks opening—as well as new clubs and social spaces. Our support services are seeing increased usage and our clubs are thriving.
 But there is heaps more to do. So to welcome you back we’ve lined up a sweet Re-Orientation that includes a week packed full of New Zealand’s finest comedy (Dai Henwood), music (The Black Seeds), free stuff, food, prizes and heaps of clubs on display on all campuses. Tickets and more detailed information can be found on our website.

Student Services Levy Consultation

Through VUWSA you have an equal say on what your Student Service Levy funds. From the Rec Centre to Health and Counselling you have a direct say in how they are governed and how they are funded. This is thanks to a Memorandum of Understanding with the University that set up a joint committee to ensure that students have a say in the Levy decisions.

The Committee’s draft proposal for the 2012 levy is that the same level of services be maintained for 2012. In order to do this and taking account of increases in staffing and occupancy costs the Committee is recommending an increase in the Levy of no more than 4%.

This consultation is an opportunity for you to let the Committee know your views on the draft proposal and whether or not you think the Committee is on the right track. I strongly encourage you to have your say on this by July 24. The consultation document and short survey can be found on our website.

Talk About It—Campus Safety

In VUWSA’s 2010 Student Survey campus safety was highlighted as an area of concern for some students. In an effort to better understand your feelings relating to safety at Victoria, VUWSA has launched a Campus Safety Audit. The first step in this process is an (anonymous!) student survey on our website, which will feed into a report that will help inform the University’s wider review of safety and security. All students who complete the survey will go the draw to win one of five $20 vicbooks vouchers.

VUWSA is changing

We’re developing a new strategic plan so we can better represent and serve all students at Victoria University of Wellington. We want it to be clear, accessible and easy for you to get involved so that we can achieve we all want—a world-class student experience and a strong students’ association at Victoria. So come along to our student workshop next Monday in the Student Union Building and share your ideas on what you want to see from VUWSA. More details are on our website.
Have a great week babes,
Seamus Brady

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube