VBC Status TBC

Victoria University’s student-run radio station, 88.3 The VBC FM, is back on the airwaves after three months of turbulent transmission.
The radio station has been more or less unmanned since April due to both technical issues and a transitional period which has seen it left without a station manager.

Jason Post and Lewis van den Berg-Shaw, who have both had extensive involvement with the station in the past, have been appointed to fixed-term paid positions to get the station up and running. The VBC Trust intends to appoint a new station manager in early August.

The VBC hopes to perform multiple technical upgrades to ensure consistent broadcasting into the foreseeable future. A new website will also be launched in the coming weeks that will enable up to 250 listeners to stream the station at one time.

“Following the upgrade of the Student Media Centre last year, we’re lucky enough to have one of the best broadcasting facilities of any tertiary institution in New Zealand,” says van den Berg-Shaw. “We’ve got a great group of volunteers who have the passion and determination to ensure that students have their music and voices heard.”

VUWSA President Seamus Brady is also looking forward to the VBC being operational in Trimester 2.
“The station has a lot of exciting new initiatives planned, such as broadcasting in The Hunter Lounge and podcasting regular programmes,” he says. “Fans of my show The Hour of Power with Caitlin and Seamus will be stoked to know it’s returning to the airwaves.”

The VBC will be broadcasting and recruiting volunteers at Re-Orientation Clubs Days at Kelburn, Te Aro and Pipitea campuses.

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.

1