Vice-Prez (Education)

Hello everyone,

It’s not meant to be my week for the Exec column but Daniel Wilson is off debating in South Korea, so I thought I would write a few things about VUWSA and the services that we provide to students.

When you enrol to study at Vic, you automatically become a member of VUWSA. As a member of VUWSA you pay a membership subscription which helps to fund the services that we provide. The VUWSA subscription levy is set by students at a general meeting of VUWSA and is paid when you pay your course fees to the University.

I could spend this column listing the services that we provide from the VUWSA Levy, but from what a recent survey has told us is that a vast majority of students know at least the basic services that VUWSA provides. Better yet they are well utilised by a large percentage of the University. To find information about our services you can visit our website; vuwsa.org.nz – we are a lot more than bus passes and sausage sizzles.

Another big part of VUWSA’s role is looking after student representation on campus. VUWSA Executive members such as myself sit on boards and committees but VUWSA helps train other students to be effective student representatives at all levels of the University – from the lecture theatre to Academic Board. This helps to ensure academic integrity, fair decision making and an accountable University.

We are also there to offer advice and support to students who need it through our VUWSA Advocate. Whether is be advice on how to deal with a horrible landlord or issues related to your study at Vic, such as academic miscount – we are there to help you out!

400 words really isn’t enough space to go into detail about everything that we do, but PLEASE remember that we are YOUR students’ association. If you are unimpressed or don’t like something VUWSA is doing – let us know! If you love the things that we do – let us know! Students have input in everything we do – so make sure your voice is heard.

If you have any specific questions about VUWSA and/or how we operate you can give myself or the VUWSA President, Seamus Brady, an email. Or come say hi to us at the VUWSA Kelburn Offices.

Otherwise I hope you are all rested and have recovered from Re-Orientation Week!

And don’t forget you only have until the end of this week (22nd July) to withdraw from courses and get a full refund!

<3 Bridie Hood evp@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Rennifer says:

What a neat article. I had no inlknig.