Victoria sportspeople get a taste of the Blues

Victoria University’s top sportspeople were honoured at the University Sport New Zealand Blues Awards on Friday 1 July.

The awards provide an opportunity for University Sport New Zealand (USNZ) to officially congratulate those who excel at the highest level in their sport while balancing university life.

Victoria’s athletes and administrators recognised with NZU Blues Awards included: Derek Woolshere (Coach of the Year); Samantha Lee (Surf lifesaving); Gareth Kean (Swimming); Ella Edginton (Debating); Stephen Whittington (Debating); Sebastian Templeton (Debating); William Bishop (Fencing); and Michael Mercer (Fencing).

VUWSA President Seamus Brady was delighted with the success of Victoria students at the awards.
“It demonstrates that students can combine competing at the highest level in their chosen sport, while maintaining their commitment to their academic study. It is great that we can recognise that in this way,” he says.

USNZ consists of ten Universities’ students’ associations, including VUWSA, who fund and support a range of national sporting events including the University Games and the Snow Games.

The New Zealand Blues have been awarded since 1919 and are based on the traditional Blue of Oxford and Cambridge Universities.

1. Jody says:

That really captures the spriit of it. Thanks for posting.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough