VSM Killed the Radio Stars?

A report commissioned by OUSA has recommended that Radio One be sold, should student association membership become voluntary.

The Deloitte report recommended the sale from a commercial standpoint, on the grounds that Radio One currently operates at a loss.

The recommendation has been criticised by many, including Radio One station manager Sean Norling who said the station had “exceptional cultural value”. Norling has cancelled regular programming for a week to give “a taste of how the cultural landscape of Dunedin may look if the sale goes ahead.”

Though a survey found Radio One was one of the least-used services offered by OUSA, association president Logan Edgar said he “would love to see it stay” but wasn’t ruling out changes.

“It is smart for us to start looking at making it more efficient as a company if VSM comes in, because we will have to run a lot more like a commercial outfit.”
NZUSA co-president David Do has voiced support for Radio One, and sees it as part of a larger battle to stop student media being silenced by VSM.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties